Friday, June 17, 2011

Head To Head: Couturier Vs. Huberdeau

~
The NHL draft is fast approaching and we’ve put together some head to head match ups featuring 20 different prospects. We’ve consulted 10 scouts from 10 different organizations to get their opinions in 5 different categories and ultimately, who they would take if they had the final say.

Enjoy these and tune into The Pipeline Show on Saturday June 25th from 10-Noon MST for a complete, in-depth recap of round one and coverage of day 2.

For now here’s H2H: Sean Couturier vs. Jonathan Huberdeau


Tale of the Tape:

Couturier (C).....................Huberdeau (C)
Drummondville (QMJHL)...Saint John (QMJHL)
Height: 6'4..........................Height: 6'1
Weight: 197 lbs..................Weight: 170 lbs
36-60-96 (1.66/PPG)........43-62-105 (1.62/PPG)
CS Rank: 6th.....................CS Rank: 3rd

Skating: 7-1-2 Huberdeau
Offence: 9-0-1 Huberdeau
Defence: 8-1-1 Couturier
Toughness: 8-0-2 Couturier
Overall: Huberdeau 6-3-1

Who Would You Take?

Huberdeau - "He’s just a higher end, offensive finisher."

Huberdeau - "He creates more offence, competes harder, has more offensive upside and more character…. Couturier weakened as the season went on and there were red flags there based on drive.”

Huberdeau - "More Offensive presence and he's going to get bigger. He just has more upside..."

Huberdeau – "The big reason is that he's more dynamic, he has more compete in his game. Couturier is smart but doesn't have as much hockey sense."

Huberdeau - "I’ve been watching him for a long time and his progression from an early level is unreal. I think they are both going to be amazing NHL players but I think the sky is the limit for Huberdeau. As a prospect, down the line, he might have a touch more upside."

Huberdeau - "Couturier is the older, bigger and stronger kid but I think the overall package is a bit better with Huberdeau."

Huberdeau - "It comes down to skating for me. They are both solid overall players, have complete games but I think Huberdeau is a little bit more dynamic which makes up for Couturier having more size."

Huberdeau - "I take Huberdeau because he’s a better skater, he has more creativity, he lacks a bit of size compared to Couturier but not enough to sway me. Huberdeau is a competitive guy with tremendous hockey IQ. I think he’s one of the smartest guys out on the ice. I think Couturier will be one of the best 2nd line centermen in the NHL but Huberdeau could end up being a 1st line guy."

Couturier - "Before the Memorial Cup I would have instantly said Couturier but now... Huberdeau is right up there. I still think I might go for Couturier though because I think he’s smarter and more well rounded and can play in both directions."

No comments: