Saturday, May 2, 2009

Werek's World - Part 4

~
The Pipeline Show is excited to bring you a series of guest player blogs by some of the top players eligible for the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. For a complete recap of the blogs so far, click on '2009 Guest Blogs' under 'Labels' down the right-hand side of your screen.

Here now is the third installment of Werek's World.




Hello everyone,

After being locked down at the U-18’s I’m back home. In this entry I am going to talk about the U-18’s and my experience there.

On April second the team members met up in Minneapolis, Minnesota. We trained and had exhibition games for a week before heading to Fargo. In Fargo we started the tournament off well. We went 4-0 in the round robin. In the semi finals we had to play the Americans in one of the best games I’ve ever been a part of. Both goalies were great, but in the end a lack of discipline proved to be costly as they scored two power play goals to win 2-1. I have never played in front of a louder crowd before. They were standing and cheering the whole game.

After our disappointing loss we tried to prepare for the bronze medal game but it was hard because we knew we failed to complete our goal and the standard for a Canadian hockey team (to win gold). The bronze medal game started off well, but in the third we blew the lead and we ended up losing in a shoot out. Going home empty handed really was sour because we worked so hard and gelled so well as a team and had nothing to show for it.

After coming home it was weird not getting an 8:45 wake up call and then at 9 waking up my roommate Cody Eakin and him asking if we got our wake up call. As well, I had to change my watch because I had my watch set 15 minutes ahead so I wouldn’t be late for the many meetings we had throughout the day.

It was an amazing experience and I learned a lot of different things. I also learned to never complain about the length of a bus trip after talking to the WHL guys. One of the guys on the team, Brett Conolly, plays in Prince George and their closest bus trip is 8 hours!

While away at the tournament we had to hand in our phones to the education consultant Roger Castle and we only got to use them for a short period of time at night. This was a pretty good idea so guys wouldn’t be “creeping” facebook all night or texting. During our free time, if we ever got sick of our computers we would go over to the mall and cruise through there. Overall, playing for Team Canada in this tournament was a good experience.

I was asked to talk about BU and them being National Champions. I watched some of the games leading up to the finals, but I didn’t get a chance to see the final game. I heard that my team mate from Stouffville, Corey Trevino, was on the ice for the winning goal so that must have been pretty exciting for him. I want to congratulate Coach Parker, and assistant coach Quinn on their win and the terrific season they had and wish them the best of luck in the future.

Ethan Werek
#25


Ethan Werek is ranked 26th overall by International Scouting Services (Apr '09) and 43rd in North America by NHL Central Scouting (mid-term rankings). The 6.05' and 191 lbs forward ended the OHL year with 32 goals and 64 points in 66 games with Kingston. Werek also recorded 4 goals and 6 points in 6 games for Canada at the World U18s in Fargo, third in team scoring.

(photos courtesy: The Kingston Frontenacs, CHL, Hockey Canada)

No comments: