Monday, May 4, 2009

Moore From the Pipeline - Part 3

~
The Pipeline Show is excited to bring you a series of guest player blogs by some of the top players eligible for the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. For a complete recap of the blogs so far, click on '2009 Guest Blogs' under 'Labels' down the right-hand side of your screen. To date we have heard from John Moore, defenceman with the Chicago Steel in the USHL, and Ethan Werek of the Kingston Frontenacs. We have a few other players lined up who have yet to contribute.

Here now is the latest entry from defenceman John Moore



Hello this is John Moore checking in again...

My season with the Chicago Steel came to an end in early April as we didn’t make the playoffs and since then I’ve been keeping myself busy with workouts in order to prepare for the Combine at the end of the month. I’m really excited to get up to Toronto for the Combine and I’m working very hard to make sure I’m in good shape for the fitness testing. I completed all of my classes in April and am working at the same gym that I am training in which makes things convenient and easy.

This past Saturday I was selected by the Kitchener Rangers in the OHL draft. This was the first time that I was drafted in anything and it was pretty funny to see my name with all of the 1993 birthdays. There was a lot of contact from OHL teams leading up to the draft and I am grateful for the interest that several teams showed in me. I got a phone call from Steve Spott, the head coach and general manager of Kitchener, early Saturday morning as I was picking up my flowers for my prom later that night. Coach Spott asked that if he selected me with his second round pick if I would just consider coming up and playing for him. I told him that I had a commitment to play for Colorado College next fall but that I would consider coming if that didn’t work out for one reason or another. He then called me back after it was official and invited my family and I to come up and take a look.

In terms of my decision for next year, I made a verbal commitment to Colorado College almost two years ago and signed my letter of intent this fall and am extremely grateful for the opportunity that is available to me there both on the ice and in the classroom. But as I said to Coach Spott, if that doesn’t work out for one reason or another, I have no problem going and playing for Kitchener and am grateful for that opportunity.

I am incredibly grateful for my opportunities and the prospect of being selected in the NHL draft later next month. If I am lucky enough to be selected, all that is promised to me is a jersey and a hat. From then on, as it has been the case since the first time I stepped on the ice, it is my job to work as hard as I can to reach my dreams of playing in the National Hockey League.

John Moore is ranked 16th overall by International Scouting Services (Apr '09) and 6th in North America by NHL Central Scouting (mid-term rankings). The 6'2 and 189 lbs defender currently has 14 goals and 39 points in 57 games this year with Chicago in the USHL. Moore now faces the decision of following through on his NCAA commitment to Colorado College while entertaining the idea of playing in the OHL with the Kitchener Rangers who drafted him in early May.

(photos courtesy: USHL, Chicago Steel, OHL, Colorado College)

No comments: