Saturday, October 12, 2013

2014 Draft Blog: Tanner MacMaster

-
It's become an annual tradition; guest blogs written by a handful of draft eligible players who share their experiences throughout the key season. Some of the names of players who we have recruited and agreed to give us their time in the past include 1st round selections like Mark Pysyk, Jordan Eberle, Joe Colborne, Curtis Lazar, John Moore, Michael Matheson and Brett Connolly.

Last month we heard from Jordan Papirny, goaltender of the Brandon Wheat Kings who was the first member of the 2014 Draft Class to submit a blog entry. 

Today it's Tanner MacMaster's turn, the top ranked player from the Alberta Junior Hockey League. The Calgary native was heard from recently on The Pipeline Show during the 2013 AJHL Showcase event. You can listen to that interview in its entirety here

After the jump, the first blog entry this season from Tanner MacMaster of the Camrose Kodiaks.


Photo: Pro Sports Photography
My name is Tanner Macmaster. I am currently playing in my second year for the Camrose Kodiaks of the AJHL and I am committed to attend Boston College in 2014-15. 

I grew up in Calgary Alberta playing my minor hockey days for the Lake Bonivista Breakers. From day one I have always loved to play the game of hockey. 

After my last year as a Breaker I tried out to play for the Calgary Bisons Bantam AAA and made it. We had a very strong season that year and made it all the way to the finals of the western bantam championship but unfortunately we lost in overtime. 
 
The following year I played for the Bisons again and we had another strong season. I had been picked by the Spokane Chiefs in the bantam WHL draft.

The following year I was able to make the Midget AAA Buffaloes. We had a solid season but lost out to the Red Deer Optimist Rebels in the playoffs who eventually went on to win the Telus Cup. 

The next season it was my goal to play junior hockey and I felt that the Camrose Kodiaks would be the best place for me to develop. 
 
My rookie season was great; I was able to commit to Boston College and also won AJHL Rookie of the Year (24 goals, 24 assists for 48 points in 56 games). I was also lucky enough to represent Canada at the World U17 with Team Pacific over the Christmas season.

This year the I chose to return to the Kodiaks for another season and I know it'll be a good one. 

See you next time, 

Tanner MacMaster
 
Tanner MacMaster is the top ranked player from the AJHL this year having been given a 'B' rating by NHL Central Scouting. The Calgary product is listed at just over 5'9 and 156 lbs and currently leads the Camrose Kodiaks in scoring with 4 goals, 8 assists and 12 points through 12 games.   

No comments: