Thursday, June 20, 2013

2013 Draft Blog: Eamon McAdam Pt.5

-
Our season of guest player blogs is nearing its end. Curtis Lazar wrapped his series of entries up last week and now it's time for Eamon McAdam to do the same.

We've had a lot of players blog with us over the years but for whatever reason, we haven't had a lot of goaltenders. Mike Lee (PHX) in 2009 is the only one that immediately comes to mind. Maybe that had something to with how great it was to have Eamon McAdam on board with us all year, having the goalie perspective is often unique. 

We've gotten to know Lazar quite well because he plays right in our own back yard. With Eamon, it's different but through his entries this year and in private correspondence it's easy to tell that he's a guy with a high level of character. It's been a pleasure to read his four previous submissions to the blog and I'm sure this last one will be just as interesting. 

On a side note, both Curtis and Eamon will join us on The Pipeline Show one last time before the draft, this coming Saturday June 22nd 10am-Noon MST (Noon-2pm EST). 

Now, here's Eamon McAdam...  



Photo: Britt Photography
It’s Eamon McAdam one last time before the draft.
 
The last few weeks have been about as busy as they could have been.  First I went up to Toronto for a few days for the NHL Central Scouting Combine and about five days after I got back from that I was on a plane again and on my way to the World Junior goalie tryout.

Combine

The Scouting Combine was one of the more looked forward to events of the year for the draft eligible guys that I knew and in my opinion it lived up to all the hype.   
 
When I got in to the Toronto Airport I got my apparel and rooming assignment, only to find that I would be rooming with Cal Petersen of all people.  There were over 100 players at the combine and Cal and I got roomed together again!  We found that extremely ironic.   
 
The next morning grabbing a bite to eat with Ian [McCoshen] and Cal, the interview process started.  I interviewed with 16 of the 30 NHL teams over a span of three days.  From what I heard before the Combine there would be all different ranges in the interviews with numbers of people and the way the interviews went, and that was extremely accurate.  The most people I had in a room interviewing me at a time was somewhere near 15 and the fewest was one guy.   
 
Photo: USHL
Some teams were extremely serious and grilled me with rapid-fire questions about ethics and hockey all together while others were very laid back and were joking around with me.  All in all the interviews were a great experience and they were very interesting.
 
On the third day after my last interview I had an orientation meeting that went over the physical testing and also went over a movement test that I would have to do later that night in a conference room in the hotel.  The movement test was about eight simple body weight exercises that were rated on a scale of one to three based on how well you did them.  The test was supposed to see if you are prone to certain types of injuries common to hockey players.  The final day I was there was the day I had my medical testing and fitness tests.
 
I was in the third or fourth group of players shuttled over to the testing facility that day and I had no idea what to expect.  When we got there we went in through a side door and had our pictures taken right away with nothing but compression shorts on.  After that we went into a room divided into about 15 sections by curtains with a desk in the middle where we checked in.  I then proceeded to take part in basic physicals from three doctors, multiple vision and eye hand tests, heart rate, and other heart exams like EKG’s among many more tests.  After about an hour and a half of medical testing they said I was ready to proceed to the physical testing room.  I stretched for a bit and then made my way in.   
 
I walked through a curtain and was instantly met with bright lights and the eyes of over 100 scouts, coaches, and media figures.  I went through a series of tests, which I thought I did well in and finally reached the dreaded last two tests, the bike sprint and the VO2max.  The training I did was nothing in comparison to the rigors of the tests there.  I was drained completely after those tests and went in the waiting room and just closed my eyes for a while before I went out and faced the media.  The whole process was somewhat of a whirlwind but it was fun and an honor to be a part of.

World Junior Goalie Camp

I only got to skate a few times after I got home before I was off to Michigan for the World Junior goalie tryout.  The camp was a short one, only three days, and we skated five times.   There were six of us there; Collin Olson (CAR), Evan Cowley, Thatcher Demko, Sean Romeo, Anthony Stolarz (PHI), and myself.   
 
It was a fun camp and all of us got a long pretty well.  We skated twice a day for two days and once on the day we all left, doing goalie specific drills so that the coaches could see what our strengths and weaknesses were. It was an honor to even be selected to the camp because I find such pride in wearing the colors.  Hopefully I will be in the running down the road when the team is being selected.   
 
Now I have a few more days until I head into school to start my summer classes at Penn State and the draft is less then two weeks away! The exciting things just keep coming for me this summer!
 
Hope you enjoyed my blogs this year and thank you for reading,
 
- Eamon McAdam
 
Eamon McAdam played the last two seasons in the USHL with the Waterloo Black Hawks. He was in net for Waterloo in the finals of the 2012 Junior Club World Cup last August in Omsk Russia. He was the starting netminder for USA at the 2012 World Junior A Challenge in November and he also appeared in the 2013 USHL Top Prospects Game in January. He ended the year with a 3.45 GAA and .896 SV%. 
 
Next year McAdam is expected to join Penn State, his CHL rights are held by the London Knights of the OHL. He is ranked 7th in North America by NHL Central Scouting and 3rd overall amongst goaltenders by International Scouting Services. 

No comments: